08 Nov Avoid The Frustrations of the Holiday Weight Gain Blues!!!
The holidays are upon us.
I’m sure that most of you are super excited for them (and rightfully so), but I’m sure there is the one thing that certainly on your mind and that is the dreaded weight gain that typically accompanies the holidays.
We’re going to outline 3 of the main things that contribute to your holiday weight gain & then at the end of the post we have an exciting opportunity for you!
Notice that we say “overindulgence”. This doesn’t mean that you can’t have your favorite holiday food or treats. It’s that you don’t want to eat so much that you’re left on the couch in a coma missing the second half of the Lions game…..and again for the nightcap.
What can you do?
- Stick to 1 plate. Don’t go back for seconds. Simple as that.
- Make protein and vegetables the centerpiece of your meal. Load up with as much protein as you want. Same with veggies. Whatever is left on your plate, go ahead and dedicate to whatever dish(es) you wish.
- Plan your desserts. Have multiple places that you’re going to for the day? Then pick one place where you will have your dessert. Or if you’re staying in one place and will have multiple opportunities to have dessert, then pick one time where you will have it and stick to it
- Limit yourself to that one day. Don’t string Thanksgiving, or any of the other holidays up through the end of the year, into a multiple day event and use that as an excuse to eat poorly. Leftovers? Hell no! Give it to your family. Package it up and take it to the local food shelter (I’m not actually sure if this an option, but look into it). Just make sure that whatever is left over, isn’t in your house or you’re not bringing it into your house.
2. Decrease in physical activity
The weather gets colder. It gets dark earlier. It’s more comfortable to stay in the warmth of your own home.
It happens. As lifelong Michiganders, we get it. It’s not the ideal environment to live a healthy lifestyle.
However, the reality is that if you want to continue to live a happy and healthy lifestyle and enjoy the results that you’ve worked hard for, then you’re going to have to put in the work to maintain that.
Find an activity that you enjoy and that you know that you will participate in at least 3x per week. Going to the gym and lifting weights, yoga, rec league volleyball…it doesn’t really matter. Just find something that is active, that you enjoy, and that you know that you will look forward doing at least 3x per week.
3. Shift in Mindset
The weather getting colder and less sunglight throughout the day = recipe for people caring less about their health & wellness. We see the pattern every year. Again, there can be a shift in hormones, nutrients, and vitamin availability and function during the winter months that can contribute to this, but avoid allowing yourself to be a victim.
- Stick to your habits before the holiday season came around.
- Keep a regimented schedule. If you have a schedule, then you’re much more likely to stick to it and avoid the blunders of decision fatigue toward the end of a day or a late night invitation that doesn’t fit into your plans.
- Think the opposite of others. This might sound a bit weird or even harsh, but if you find yourself conforming to the group and repeatedly giving into the things that you know will not benefit you going into the New Year, then quickly shift your focus. You might upset a few people, but if you communicate why you’re refraining and in a respectful manner, then they should give the same respect right back and support your decision.
So there you go. Focus on those 3 areas this holiday season and watch your New Year be a bit different than in years past as you won’t have to experience the consequences of the holidays!
If you’re still not confident that you can do this on your own, but you want help and a program that will provide you with the:
-positive mindset shift to avoid the traps of the holidays
Then click here to apply for a FREE spot in our Team Transformation Challenge that starts on Friday, November 24th! We’re only accepting one for the FREE spot and will make our selection on Friday, November 17th, so don’t waste any more time and apply now! We’re looking for a compelling story, so be sure to sell us on why you should be selected when you apply.
If you want to get more information on the Team Transformation Challenge and hear some success stories from those that have participated in the past, then click here.
We hope to see you soon!